Monday 23 January 2012

Domestic Help

Engaging foreign help for domestic services is beginning to look like a cultural norm nowadays. Almost everyone has somewhat to a certain degree engaged themselves in this type of service, the difference being only if it was on a temporary or permanent basis. I for one engage an hourly maid who helps me to thoroughly clean up my house on a monthly basis while I have a permanent maid that helps looks after my grandmother at her place. 

I've been told many times that I do not know how to treat these individuals who help me out and I'm too lenient as an employer. For me, it's very simple, I engage you for your services and therefore pay for the service rendered. I see it as a business transaction. It's like when you go for a hair cut, you get your hair cut and pay for it, period. This is how I always saw the engagement of domestic helpers to help elevate the household burden.

Yesterday, whilst I was having dinner with my godmother and her family, I was just observing how my godmother's sister-in-law was treating and talking to the maid. I just feel that it is very wrong. For one, the bitch scolded her maid when she (the maid) went to perform her evening prayers. I was like, what the fuck?! What kind of a person, who prays herself, restricts another person from praying? As ignorant as I may be, but I'm very sure there isn't a religion out there that condones this act. 

Later, she made the maid to handle pork as well. Though this is very highly debatable, but I still stand by that it isn't an appropriate action as it involves religion. I wouldn't be really bothered if it's a personal thing, but since it involves religious teachings, I don't think its appropriate. It would be a different story if the maid doesn't mind doing it, but in this instance, it was very clear from her facial expression that she wasn't happy doing it.
 Like for me, when I got my maid, I did put everything on the table for her and asked her if she was okay and acceptable. She told me that she was okay as long as not forced to consume pork and that got things well and easy for both parties.

This bitch was also so verbally abusive towards the maid. I mean, give her a break. She had to cater to so many people and almost everyone was calling for her to get them one thing or another at any given point of time. And increase their voices everytime she doesn't get back to them on time. Be realistic, she is also human and catering to so many people would definitely whack her physically. 
And the worst, the maid had to sit in a corner on the floor of the kitchen and eat. I just found that to be totally not acceptable.

What I witnessed last night was bothering me so much. I guess it disturbed me that much that it was actually being shown on my face that my godmother sense something wasn't right and asked me what was bothering. I just didn't know if I should have told her or not but decided to make it more generalized.

I could never bring myself to treating anyone in that manner. Even if it's someone that I really hate, I would still not be able to treat someone like that. Having a maid for me is like getting an extra hand, it does not in any way say that I own the person; thus enabling me to dictate. 

It is wrong, just so wrong!

10 comments:

  1. Its always people like these that complain about their helpers running away without knowing they were the main contributor to the helper's decision. Lots of these people's egos make them think its acceptable to treat them like that. Even yesterday my uncle was telling my mum "you can never treat them as family blah blah blah".. was thinking bitch! With the was you guys are treating her of course la.. Mine is practically family. =DD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tell me about it, i've been told one too many times that i over pamper my maid. i don't see how bringing her along for dinner regardless of the venue, provided it serves halal food, is something not right to do. i still remember with my previous maid, when her father passed away, i insisted that she went back to her hometown. so, i drove her to the airport, bought her tickets of which the only seat left on that flight was a business class seat, and sent her off with some pocket money. i just failed to comprehend why others made a fuss about me spending my money for her. such wankers some people are!

      Delete
  2. That is totally inhumane when someone do something like that. They don't want to pay extra money but demand something totally unrealistic. They forgot that the maid they were treating like that is someone mother, daughter or even wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's just sad to see how stupid some people become.

      Delete
  3. the bitch paid for the service, not the emotional abuse that cannot be paid by any amount of dollars, still wrong no matter how you look at it.

    human being are the same, if the bitch dun like the maid personally, then find someone else to do the job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i totally agree with you.
      every individual has to be treated with respect and dignity, regardless.period.
      these retards, well, are just retards. i believe in karma. for one day she will pay the price of this.

      Delete
  4. hm... tell her off la.. i mean.. hm.. hahaha.. its not easy.. lol... but seriously..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its not that easy lah...i dont want to cause any friction between my godmother and her sister-in-law. but i spoke to my godmother today and told her that i felt that my godmother should not have allowed her sister-in-law to step all over my godmothers maid

      Delete
  5. i tell her directly if i were you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's not that easy..i wished i can, but i couldnt. things would have gotten very ugly if i said anything that night. the best i could think of doing was to keep silent and feel sorry for the maid. i know it wasnt the best thing to do, but i guess it was a situation trap..i dont know

      Delete