Monday 28 November 2011

Birthdays

I was never a person who really enjoys birthday celebrations. I could never comprehend why would someone want to celebrate being older by a whole year. I always made it clear that I do not want anyone to do anything for me on birthdays, so it's always a low key event where close friends just get together for dinner and maybe a drink or two.

The other day, my god son turned a year old and my friend, who is the father insisted that I would make it. So, despite the temptations of partying, I had to make myself available for the dinner-cum-celebration. Since the location and I was supposed to be wasn't all that far from downtown KL, I decided to make it for dinner, and then go out clubbing and back again, hoping to be sober later in the night as there were some things that needed discussion.

So, here I was witnessing the whole birthday fiasco feeling entirely out of place at since I don't normally socialize well in family oriented event, I just had a whole new perspective and reflections as to why some people celebrate birthdays. in this case, it was more of celebrating a year of this kid. The journey he has gone through and experienced gained over the course of three hundred and sixty five days. It's incredible how fast kids grow and despite the fact of meeting him every quarter, he looks so grown and different every time I meet him.

And another thing that took me by surprise, this little boy made me carry him all evening. One thing that I don't normally do. In fact, he was the first baby I ever carried, lifted from his cod and tapped him to sleep as well.

As much as I think children are pesky , this one is one exception and somehow I kinda like him...

Not a bad thing to reflect on a Monday afternoon and yea, I did meet an online friend as well earlier for coffee. Interesting character he is...

1 comment: