Thursday 1 December 2011

Drawing Lines

Knowing when to shut up is important. This is more of a fact rather than an opinion, especially when you work in organizations that have people who bitch like there is no tomorrow. I remember reading a proverb somewhere a long time ago, speak when you're spoken to.

But where do you draw the line when it comes to someone close to you, who isn't in any way related to work? 

Recently, someone I know is going through some pretty tough times. Starting life in a new place is no easy task, it can really put a massive toll on you. Being away from people close to you, getting used to a whole new system, learning the culture and blending in, among others - is no easy task. And the magnitude amplifies when if you have a shaky relationship or things aren't going as planned. The emotional toll could just be so great that it could drive you to the point of insanity.

I see this person doing almost the same mistakes as I did, and it's very hard for me to keep my mouth shut as I'm person who speaks my mind out. It's just so difficult to know where to draw the line and keep things at peace. I've tried talking and sharing my opinion and experiences that came along from the decisions I took when I was in the similar situation. but this person fails to see my point of view. When I talk to this person, it is quite clear that the emotional stress is clouding the judgement capabilities.

Based on the current situation, I dare not advice further as it may damage the friendship we have.On the other hand, by keeping quiet I can, to a certain degree, anticipate what is going to happen next. Drawing the line in this case is very important, but where to draw the line is the question now. I so hate being in such situations. Aaargh!

2 comments:

  1. not me not me not me not me!!! i know not me!! *chanting* la lalalalala... amitabhalahalihalu...

    ReplyDelete
  2. tuls: lolz dude....not you, chill :) I've spoken to the person concern. he has decided to move back to malaysia for the time being.

    ReplyDelete