Saturday 9 June 2012

Weird Conversation

As I was walking to my car after work last night, I just thought of calling my dad to say hi. It's been a long time since I spoke to him or went out. Furthermore, I even totally forgot about his birthday as I was swamped by work later last month. Not that I care much about birthdays, but just for courtesy sake.

While we were talking, I asked him where he currently was and he told me that he is here in Malaysia, and I was suddenly all excited that it may be a chance to catch up with him. But, he had to continue that he was leaving on a business trip this morning and will be away for another couple of weeks. It's a good timing no doubt, as my exams would be over by then and I should have more time to spend with him. But then again, spending too much time with him will lead to the same question as to why I do not want to join him in his business and if I'm seeing anyone. I could answer the former, but I'm not sure how would I answer the latter to him considering the still vulnerable stage I am in right now.

Wanting to change the topic, I asked him what brought him to town. And that's when he started telling me stuff. He came back for a medical check up and was informed that he is suspected for some kidney related shit. He has since gone for a second and third opinion and the general consensus says the same. The doctors suggested dialysis for him, but he doesn't want as it'll impact his mobility and run the business. Honestly, I know that isn't the reason. Dad has somehow given up on many things including his own well being since the divorce. When I asked him what his next step was, he just said in a low spirited voice that he'll continue the prescribed medication and see how things shape up. 

We just continued talking crap for a bit when he brought up the topic of the will. I've always made it clear to my father that I'm not interested neither his money nor his property. I'm contended with what I have. When I brushed off the idea of his, he got quite defensive of the situation and said certain things that I didn't want to hear. Not now, not ever.

Anyways, after a long argument, I just told him to do whatever as he pleases and ended the call. As I was driving back, I was just thinking of whatever he said. Maybe I was just to harsh on him. I think the dinner would be a good idea and let him do whatever he wants with his money. Whether or not I accept it is a different story. 
A charitable organization wouldn't be that bad a consideration to pass the ball to.

2 comments: