Wednesday 14 March 2012

Idiocracy Peak

When I was in school and studied differentiation, I was thought that every quadratic curve had either a maximum or minimum point, depending on the equation. Later, I was introduced to binomial distribution which would normally form a bell curve if the sample is normal and the function, f(x) > 0. With this in mind, I was always under the impression that there is a peak for everything, and after that point, it would move downwards again. This thought of mine seemed correct in my mind until I met my current manager.

What happened in the office today is that one of the bigger bosses, worried about his bonus, decided to send out an email with regards to the DSO of most of the clients as his bonus payout would be pretty much be determined by the cash flow of the company rather than the balance sheet or P&L statement. It does make sense to distribute bonus looking at the cash flow as it determines how much cash the organization has. 
So, this email basically gets sent out, a clear indication that the credit control team isn't doing what they're paid for; else the DSO figures would not look that bad.

In the mean time, one of my clients so happened to send me an email earlier in the day concerning a dispute in their invoice; the numbers in the invoice and the monthly summary didn't tally. It's like the monthly summary says that X number of services were performed while the invoice stated X+n. I then forwarded this to my finance team, as those wankers are the ones who prepare the invoice based on the summary provided by the operations team to check on the dispute.
While at it, since the earlier mentioned email by the boss was sent, the finance manager shot me an email asking me to verify some outstanding number on this particular account. Upon looking, I did inform the manager that it was impossible for this account to be reflected as a bad paymaster and the amount owed shown on the report was ridiculous. It was running on a four fold higher figure compared to their actual annual consumption. I therefore requested for the data to be validated as it is very clear that there is an error.
As the finance manager and I were working on the ridiculous numbers churned out by the system, my smart-ass manager has to intervene trying to show himself working after hours. This idiot, not sure if he knew what we were talking about, decides to barge in halfway and asks me to get the client to provide images of their payment. Like what the fuck for?
The problem here lies in the internal application where its churning out incorrect numbers. Even if the client wee to produce images of all their previous payment, the amount paid versus the amount owed will not tally. What would be solved? The DSO will still look bad as it will be still capturing an owed amount. Would it not make sense to fix the bug in the internally to reflect the correct numbers before asking the client to proof that they have made payment. 
Like how dumb is that? And, this isn't the first time this dumb-ass has said such a thing on a similar case.
Later, he went on asking me to be more realistic and to check with the operations team regarding the quantity on the summary versus the invoice.
This is where I fail to see the logic again. It is the standard procedure that finance would issue the invoice based on the summary provided by the operations team. If the figures on the invoice doesn't match with that of the summary, it will only be taken that an error occurred within the finance team whilst preparing the invoice. It is therefore norm to check with the finance as to why the quantity on both the summary and invoice don't tally. 
Now, if the quantity on the invoice and the summary matches, yet there is still a dispute from the client based on their record keeping , then I would agree that the operations team be consulted to isolate and rectify the issue, but this clearly isn't the case.

I find it hard to digest that i'm working with an idiot like this. And whenever he quotes me 'as mentioned earlier' or 'as spoken earlier', I never fail to get bamboozled wondering when the FUCK did he mention or speak to me. 
I've always convinced myself that he has reached the peak of his idiocracy and that he will improve moving forward. 

But what I failed to realize is that I've been comparing him against the wrong curve. He is only fit to be compared against an exponential curve. Silly me! Guess I've been spending too much time with the idiot. 
If only there is a limiting factor to curb his idiocracy and control the exponential growth - highly doubt it though!

I got my HIV screening results earlier. i'm tested negative at this point of time. I'm just glad that I'm no longer in the dark. At least that was a relief to dealing with an idiot.

4 comments:

  1. lol, exponential curve in the end, laugh die me lar~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats how TL i am, until can think of exponential curve...hahaha

      Delete
  2. 1st paragraph and i almost close the tab straightaway..math is something that i hate ever since my foundation year..hahahaha

    maybe u shud measure his IQ, then only bell curve applied and the peak might be around 10 years ago..hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm not a big fan of maths per se, but i love stats. manipulating all those numbers for your benefit is just so much fun.

      nah..i doubt his IQ cld even be measured in the first place. highly suspect its non existant

      Delete